Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 18:52:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        fbsdlist@federation.addy.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Satanic logo

[moved to -chat. As often happens with FreeBSDers, discussion gets really
interesting ;-)]

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, M. L. Dodson wrote:

[..]
> > I do love our daemon, Chuck. My ****big**** dream is that
> > someone will draw a sexy "daemonette" too ;-)
> >
> > From chapter 31 of the "Unix System Administration Handbook" by
> > Nemeth (a very good book) :
> >
> >   The words "daemon" and "demon" both come from the same root,
> >   but "daemon" is an older form and its meaning is somewhat
> >   different. A daemon is an attendant spirit that influences
> >   one's character or personality. Daemons aren't minions of
> >   good or evil; they are creatures od independent thought and
> >   will. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both
> >   daemons and demons.
> >

> It is also likely to have some relationship to Maxwell's demon
> (daemon?), methinks.

Yea, surely! I forgot it! ;-) And, I'll bet on it, it's a daemon, not a
demon ;-).

We in Italy have the same distinction between daemon/demon, but the
word is the same: "demone". The difference is in where you put the
accent.

> This is the guy who monitors the shuttered hole between two gas
> vessels, opening it when a hot molecule approaches from the left
> vessel and closing it when a hot molecule approaches from the
> right (or vice versa).  Net is a temperature difference which can
> be used to run a heat engine => perpetual motion.  (Don't worry;
> Leo Szilard used information theory to prove that it takes more
> energy to run the demon than you get out.  Second law is safe.)

I don't worry at all, since I do love daemons ;-)

Also, it should be nice a party with daemons, daemonettes, witches
and fairies ;-) As you surely know, whitches were *beautiful* women,
it was the christian religion, to fight the pagan one, which said
witches were horribles and evil creatures.  (Please no flames about
religions here. I don't want to offend anyone.)

Marco