Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:07:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ken Starr, Apache, FreeBSD

Are you on drugs?  Sorry, wrong question to ask Terry...

A couple of other mirrors were running Apache too, but that didn't help
them.

The difference has a lot more to do with the fact that is Yahoo's job and
they know what they are doing and can do setups to handle high load, where
your typical .gov admin doesn't have a clue.

Also, the "runs on an Apache server" is, AFAIK, mostly technically
accurate but very misleading to state since, AFAIK, they run a mega hacked
1.1.x Apache that probably doesn't even begin to resemble any publicly
available code.

(note that "easily keep up" isn't entirely accurate, as they did have
serious slowdowns at times; at least they were smart enough to figure out
that using a different server/set of servers was smart.)