Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 15:50:52 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD direction/Damonnews article

--------------614C0BB35A86524C4264FA3B

j mckitrick wrote:

> I haven't done any searching on where this thread might have started, but i
> thought maybe i would add my thoughts.
>
> I have been very nervous about both the BSDi merger and now the Wind River
> merger.  I do not have negative thoughts about the companies as much as i do
> the future of (Free)BSD.  I recently asked if the Wind River acquisition would
> affect the release schedule for FreeBSD.  One -chat reply was "why would it ?"
>
> Well, the reason i thought it might would be that decisions by the new
> 'parent' company could add or take away from full-time BSD developers.
> Additionally, having more or less direction could affect the pace of current
> projects.  Lastly, a company with potentially hostile or at least purely
> selfish intentions could hardly help the project.  Any or all of these
> factors could cause core members to resign, committers to become frustrated,
> and interest to decline.
>
> On another angle, i agree that the Open Source model lacks and clearly needs
> a better management model.  Witness the plethora of
> Yet-Another-Window-Manager and Me-Too email clients, and contrast that with
> the glaring lack of good CAD, circuit design, desktop publishing, and other
> such special application tools.  Disclaimer: if i am unaware of a tool that
> fills one of these needs to the degree that it is or can be professionally
> accepted and used as well as an existing commercial product, by all means, i
> stand corrected.  But i would dare say the exceptions are few and far
> between.

CAD tools, Well..there's VARKON: http://www.varkon.com/

But...if the free tools are not ported yet to FreeBSD, what makes you
think the commercial ones will? I doubt there is interest for CAD
tools under FreeBSD :(.

> But then again, what do i know?  I'm just a lowly student who loves computers
> and hopes to make a living writing software.  :-)

Lose all faith... I love computers too, but I suspect studying
Mechanical Engineering was the best I could've done.

Pedro.
--------------614C0BB35A86524C4264FA3B

begin:vcard
n:Giffuni;Pedro
tel;fax:1 (360) 343-0501
tel;home:(412) 665 2956
tel;work:(412) 624-9862
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.geocities.com/giffunip/
org:University of Pittsburgh;Industrial Engineering
adr:;;5820 Elwood St. Apt. 34;Pittsburgh;PA;15232;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:giffunip@asme.org
title:Teaching Assistant
fn:Pedro F. Giffuni