Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:26:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP filtering strawman, comments please.

> > Wait.  One thing:
> >
> > > 	Interface matches name
> > > 	Interface matches IP.
> >
> > IF it is easy to do, "Interface matches type" (i.e. driver type, let's say
> > you want to toss a filter on ALL "ppp" or "sl" devices).
> >
> > I am thinking mainly about trying to easily implement a rule such as:
> >
> > "drop all routing packets coming in via SLIP"
>
> I have thought about this, I can see a couple of (non-exclusive) solutions:
>
> 	... via ppp*
> 		interpreted as if_name must be ppp[0-9][0-9]* (for any value
> 		of ppp of course, ed* sl* tun* ...)
>
> 	... via P2P
> 		interpreted as if_flags must have POINTTOPOINT set.

My personal preference would still be for the former.  I use PPP for dynamic
links, but SLIP for 24/7 connections particularly if there's extra routing
that needs to happen.  That of course could be considered a personality
quirk  :-)  I have definite ideas about how things should work.  ;-)

Either is probably quite acceptable, and it is clear that one can get by
with neither as well.

> > which might be mildly trickier to specify using more specific rules.  This
> > would only be useful to the ISP community - where 16 or 32 SLIP lines is
> > hardly unusual - but it WOULD be useful to them, if you can easily
> > accomplish it.
> >
> > On the other hand, what you have outlined is very comprehensive as it
> > stands, IMHO.
>
> Thanks!

No, thank YOU.  :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968