Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:09:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>, adrian@ubergeeks.com, blk@skynet.be, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum performance testing...

> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 01:01:50PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > After getting seriously burned (fortunately, during initial system
> > > configuration), I've sworn off vinum for any sort of critical production
> > > use.
> >
> > Of course, this is an absurdly myopic view to take of a product that's
> > still under development.  It's people like yourself and statements like
> > that that give open-development software products a bad name.  8(
>
> No offense, but you are wrong and he is right. A 'still under developement'
> product should NOT be used for critical production machines.

Perhaps we're seeing this differently, but "sworn off vinum" says to me
"never using it again", and that's the point I was trying to make.
People try something that's still under development, get bitten, and
then claim forever after that the product is dangerous, regardless of
whether or not it's subsequently fixed.

This is a _major_ image issue.

> I am sure
> when vinum is more robust and less likely to much your data for dinner
> he, and many other people who use FreeBSD in situations where data loss
> is not an option, will reconsider it's use.

I'm not convinced of this, but worse still are the people that, having
read Michael's message, or turned it up in a year's time, will never
assess it for themselves because they're scared off by these
unqualified comments.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org