Date:      Fri, 29 May 2009 20:19:20 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        barry@pdc4u.com
Cc:        Michael Goodell <michael@pdc4u.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between cvsup and portsnap

On Fri, 29 May 2009 11:09:41 -0600, Barry McCormick <barry@pdc4u.com> wrote:
> For example, if you are still
> running a 5.4 stable box in production and use any of the portsnap,
> portupgrade, etc utilities, you would pull the current version ports and
> NOT from teh directory of the 5.4 ports. I.E, risk breaking the
> production box.  So you should not use portsnap ever except for dev
> boxes.

As far as I understood, the ports tree is always "up to date",
i. e. ther's no separate tree for 5, 6 and 7 (and 8). If you
update your ports tree, using portsnap or c(v)sup, you end up
with the latest tree. There isn't a separate ports tree for,
ket's say, 5.4-RELEASE, except you use that from the installation
media (or from FTP) and DON'T update it.

In addition, if you use cvsup to update your sources, you can
of course specify the exact release (with patches), the release
branch (stable) or the current point in development (head).

There's a tool called portdowngrade (if I remember correctly)
that lets you fetch ports from an older version.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0