Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslog and ntpdate

I'm cleaning up my act, security-wise, here. Once upon a time, I logged
in to the console as root and left the session logged in as a 'console
log'. This is a secure office, so that was reasonably safe... but bad
form, of course. I then then cleaned up my act and changed syslog.conf so
that the items of interest get logged directly to the console and all is
well. Or almost. Oddly, I can no longer get info reports from ntpdate
(run with cron every 2 hours), though I used to. My syslog.conf is now:

---- /etc/syslog.conf
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit		/dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr,auth.info;mail.crit	/var/log/messages
mail.info					/var/log/maillog
lpr.info					/var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*						/var/cron/log
*.err						root
*.notice;auth.debug				root
*.alert						root
*.emerg						*
*.notice;*.alert;auth.debug;*.alert		/dev/console
----
so I -assumed- that the console should get all the log messages that root
used to (except for .err messages)... but the time adjustments don't show.
I also tried adding:

	!ntpdate.*  /dev/console

Which seemed to correspond to the program usage in syslog.conf, but it
made no difference. What did I do wrong?

Puzzled...

-Dave