Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:47:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
Cc:        philip_milne@il.us.swissbank.com (Philip Milne), hackers@freebsd.org, armando_ferreira@il.us.swissbank.com, charlie_conklin@il.us.swissbank.com
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

> > tar -cvf /dev/rfd0a /
>
> This has utterly trashed your boot device (and / lies there.)  I seriuosly
> doubt that you can do anything but reinstall.

Probably the right conclusion, but for the wrong reasons.

>What happened is that you have overwritten the filesystem layout from the
>same filesystem you were "backing up" and at that *while* you were backing
>it up.  There shouldn't be anything useful on /dev/rfd0a.

Not unless these systems are running with their root filesystems on
floppies, no. :-) That would be possible, of course, but insane as
even a stand-alone system would want to use MFS for its root
filesystem given that a floppy would be far too unreliable.

					Jordan