Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:46:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        MAX@one.com.au, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG

Mike Smith writes:
 > > *** keyboard not plugged in ...
 > > Can't open file /boot/loader
 > > *** keyboard not plugged in ...
 >
 > Your installation did not complete correctly.  Try again.
 >
 > > So, how should i get the freebsd running?
 >
 > Install it correctly.  It's not really very hard.  If you go to the
 > questions list, and promise to give them more information than you've
 > given us, you should get the sort of help you need.

This sounds a lot like what Juan E. Navarro was complaining about with
a -current install onto an xp1000.  I think that sysinstall might be
hosed for alpha. Either that, or it is far too easy to make a mistake
& inadvertantly end up with a system which will not boot.

Do any of the Q/A people have alphas?

 > > Do we need to update the alpha station firmware ?
 >
 > It's always a good idea, but I don't think that's your problem.

This is not always true.  My motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it"

Sometimes a firmware upgrade can hose your system totally.  The latest
version of the SRM firmware update CD ROM contains bogus firmware for the
AlphaStation 500 which can turn your motherboard into a large
paperweight.  Also, you need to be careful when upgrading older
3000/400 machines to modern firmware.  Some of them cannot be upgraded
because the SROM chip is incompatabile with newer firmware.  Again,
you get a paperweight if you try.