Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 06:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fwd: die Linux die!

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > For those with some level of authority and decision in the workplace, has
> > someone prepared "an argument for FreeBSD", or "an argument on why Linux
> > is a horrible operating system"?  I really enjoyed:
>
> I don't think anyone has taken quite that tack as it would seem an
> unnecessarily high lightning rod to want to grab ahold of, there being
> so many less aggressive ways of explaining why you _prefer_ FreeBSD.

Exactly. Some people _prefer_ one or the other. I think they're both quite
good. And I'd hate to be forced to choose between them. I am running
FreeBSD here, but I used Linux for a long time and still have 2 Linux
machines at work. (And will probably add a third since Linux for the
Alpha seems to be more polished than NetBSD for the Alpha.)

They're more alike than they are different. I see both in this way: I use
Linux or FreeBSD because I enjoy doing so. And I think I like using both.

I use NT because I have to. (There are some apps that only run on Windows
right now.)

Both FreeBSD and Linux are very good, very capable OSes. Why limit
yourself, or show your ignorance, by saying that one is far superior to
the other? They're both wonderful.

--

Stuart Krivis    stuart@krivis.com