Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:28:36 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   xforms maintenance tools (was Re: Tcl/Tk sysinstall)

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Peter Dufault wrote:

> Tcl/TK is the best 90% solution I've seen.  I've used it a lot
> lately, including my own fastgraph widget for displaying collected
> signals.  My biggest complaint is the creeping size of my scripts, some
> of which have ballooned to 1000 lines, and the difficulty to really
> get everything right which I believe would be more easily done in C.
> Starting over now I'm sure I'd do it better.  The newer TK also addresses
> some of the comments I've seen on this thread and does a better
> job without any tweaking.

I have been working on a diskmaint utility to 'fdisk/disklabel' a newly
added drive to FreeBSD. I tried with 'dialog' and found it to be seriously
'limiting'. Gave up on 'dialog'. Then tried to use 'Tcl/Tk' and found that
to be to cumbersome.

Now I am using the xforms library and the fdesign gui builder... It looks
great and works very well. Have decided to write some other utilities
once I have finished the 'diskmaint' utility..

With time, I hope to build an entire suite of tools to do large amounts
of regular system administration with X.

Things I have in mind are :PPP/SLIP, DNS/BIND, user manager(setup, passwords
and the like), uucp manager, printer manager, backup/restore tools, etc...
Any other tools that can be sugested, commented on, would be gratefull.

This is not a promise but merely a 'see if it can be done' type of thing.

FWIW.

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178