Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:17:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Kurt@boolean.net (Kurt D. Zeilenga)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple hosts sharing drive(s) on a shared SCSI bus

As Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote...
> I have three systems with dual channel UW SCSI (7895) running
> -current w/ CAM (latest snapshot).  Currently, the second
> channel is unused on all three system.  I'd like to use
> these channels to provided shared (but not concurrent) access
> to a tape drive and, possibly a disk drive, on a shared bus.
>
> Will this work?

SCSI supports this concept, it's called multiple initiator. Obviously
you'll have to set each hosts for it's own unique scsi id. Keep in mind
that if the bus runs at Ultra speeds you have a severely limited cable
length. (1.5 meters, maybe you'll be able to get it to work with something
a bit longer).

For professional use we exclusively use differential scsi (we == Digital
^H^H^H^H^ Compaq). This kind of stuff is done in VMS and Digital Unix
clusters.

And please note that if some host does a scsi bus reset your tape will
loose it's position. Some (all?) rewind etc. Not nice if you're
doing (incremental) dumps on the nrst device obviously.

Wilko