Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:59:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SYSV IPC (msg, sem, shm)...

Hi all!

	Thank all of you who answered my previous post about manpages -
I've found sem* and shm* , but msg* are missing. Perhaps they _are_
missing from 2.1.5R (which is the version I run).

	I'm just writing a few simple programs in order to learn more
about SYSV IPC. I'm using FreeBSD, but I managed to have as a tutorial a
part of SunOS Answerbook, which describes this subject in details.

	So, I noticed several differences in implementation (and
I wonder if these are ok):

* SunOS's <sys/msg.h> defines several structs, among them
	a template struct ``msgbuf''. __The same__ struct in FreeBSD's
	msg.h is called ``mymsg'', and the author explains he wasn't sure
	at the time of writing how to call it. Maybe it should be changed
	to ``msgbuf'' in order to be "more compatible" ?
* In the same msg.h, SunOs's struct msginfo slightly differs from that of
	FreeBSD, namely, has one member more (msgmap). Frankly, I don't know
	what this is for, but anyway...
* SunOS allows to lock/unlock shared memory segments with command
	SHM_LOCK/SHM_UNLOCK. I didn't find any mention of this in
	#defines in FreeBSD's <sys/shm.h>. Does it mean this feature is not
	implemented?

Andy