Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:22:59 -0800
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

At 12:07 AM 2/16/97 +1100, you wrote:
>1. Solaris

You've got to be kidding.

>2. FreeBSD
>3. Linux
>(and a long way behind...)
>4. NetBSD

>I installed on a standard clone, no special cards, etc.  Solaris was by
>far the easiest, well, maybe the disk partitioning is a bit confusing.

I have to agree, installing solaris is like a hand-held tour through
a park.

>If I was a user, I'd also like the Solaris boot the best, too.

This I don't see. As soon as its installed and ready to go, it looks
like any other posix compliant os. Just as cryptic (so to speak) as
any other. BSD, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, they all look the same to me at
the console.

>A lot of people here will disagree with me, perhaps, but when I look at
>the bootup screen for Solaris2, I see a finish built for users who don't
>know or care about hardware details etc (makes FreeBSD and others look

Your right, I think a lot of people will disagree. I don't see much
difference here either. My sun box probes scsi ports and whatnot just
the same as my bsd box at boot time.

>like "hacks").  If I could, I'd advocate that the free unixes have a
>similar quiet boot as default and a "verbose" option to see all the junk
>messages about detecting disks, etc.  I see the same with NT4.0 (there is
>a way to get a "verbose" boot).  Hack, on a fast PC, those boot messages
>disappear too quickly to digest anyway!

Thats why they come with options like the f8 key, so that people who are
more interested in getting things done and don't have time to be afraid
of thier hardware can see those messages.