Date:      Wed, 31 May 95 20:54:27 JST
From:      Masahiro SEKIGUCHI <seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: mcast and sd

>MOZART
>opens sd
>opens a new session
>
>BLUES (runs mrouted connected to MBONE)
>opens sd (mozarts' session does not show up)
>opens a new session
>MOZART immediately after that sees the session on blues

If this is the exact order you did, there is nothing strange at all.

Try creating another session on MOZART when sd is running on BLUES.
It will immediately shown on sd on BLUES.

Or, if you just wait 5 minutes or more, the "missing" session will be
shown on BLUES.

It is a normal behaviour of sd.

If an sd creates a new session, it sends packets to notify a session
is alive.  The packet is sent either (1) immediately after the session
is created, or (2) every 5 minutes.  So, when you start sd, you have to
wait max. 5 minutes before the sd shows all pre-existing sessions.

It may be hard to recognize this behaviour, since sd plays a trick
with the file ~/.sd_cache to reduce the delay.

Please verify the above scenario.  I believe presence of mrouted is
irrelevant.