Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:00:23 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

At 09:29 PM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Argh, Tim you are closed minded.

Gee, thanks.  Just because I can't stand Vi and don't want to teach myself
how to write a 500 page novel using it, I'm closed minded.  Hmm, OK,
whatever you say.

>I'm newbie. I dont think un*x is the solution for a newbie.

I'm a newbie to Unix, but not a newbie to computing.  I've been into
computers for 15 years, and put in enough hours in those 15 years in front
of computers to make it more like 30 years.  I've also been programming in
one form or another for those past 15 years too.  So although you may think
my opinion is closed-minded, I certainly have earned the right to have it.

>But if you want to know un*x, know basic tools common to unix.
>Vi is one of the most important, because if someday you go on another
>un*x-clone, vi will be there.

So will something else, believe me, unless Unix wants to stay back in the
1960's... in which case, I would never use it.  Vi is a throwback to an
earlier era where the computer didn't do the text editing, a dumb terminal
did it, and sent the results back to the computer for processing afterwards.

>Its a really good suggestion.

So take it yourself - write me a 20 page essay on why you think I should
become proficient in Vi... using vi and nothing else to write it.  You talk
big, prove it yourself.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.