Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:03:22 +0100
From:      "Eugene Rogoza" <euro@i.com.ua>
To:        <freebsd-usb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB does not recognize any dynamically plugged devices

Hello everybody,

I have a FreeBSD 5.3 release on my 855GM-based Dell Inspiron 700m laptop.
There's a strange glitch: connected USB devices are being recognized and
attached only at startup (just after bus probing). If I disconnect a device,
the kernel says "detached", and everything is fine. But if I try to attach
it again, nothing happens.

This behavior started after I connected and disconnected an Olympus digital
camera. After I plugged it in, it was correctly recognized and attached
(umass0). But I realized that I had forgotten to include "device da" in my
kernel to be able to access camera's memory. I compiled a new kernel, which
differs from the previous one only by this "device da" string. Since then
USB doesn't detect any devices plugged at run-time. Trying to boot with
older kernels (and even with GENERIC) doesn't change the situation.

Any helpful thoughts are being appreciated.

Eugene Rogoza.