Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:57:04 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:59:58AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 01:42 PM 2/13/99 -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
>
> >*NOTE* This has been moved to chat.
> >
> >BAFUG (Bay Area FreeBSD Users Group) is also involved in this. BAFUG has
> >been coordating the Linux people here in the Bay Area to pull this
> >off.
>
> And the Linux people are doing everything in their power to make sure
> that the public thinks EVERYONE there is a Linux user. Note that the
> press report you quoted mentions ONLY Linux! My belief is that they
> intend to play the users of other operating systems who show up for
> patsies -- use them to strengthen the impression that everyone at
> the event uses Linux, and only Linux.

No, brett this is not the case. I was interviewed by the San Jose Mercury
News and the reporter told me that all the Linux people he interviewed took
great pains to point out that there were other OSS beside Linux. They
emphasized that Linux is equal to FreeBSD in most ways and FreeBSD was
better in a good number of ways.

> It's also worth noting that the Bay Area organizers are telling users
> of alternative operating systems that are NOT "open source" that they
> must do "separate" protests. This includes BSDi, as well as Solaris,
> BeOs, OS/2, NetWare, etc. They are also making sure that the URL that's
> popularized as having information about the event is the URL of a
> site devoted to Linux. They're turning the event not into a genuine
> protest against Microsoft's tactics but rather into a publicity stunt
> for their one alternative.

Brett, I am confused how someone who is not here and does not know the
people involved can pretend to know what is going on. The above statement is
_NOT_ what is going on. Other OS people have been invited and a number of
them, such as Solaris and SCO will be there. The BeOs people have be asked
by Rick Moen a number of time to attend. They just can't seem to get their
act together.

I have been running BAFUG for 2 years now (April in our 2nd anniversary) and
Nicole Harrington and I have been doing the Install-A-Thons for almost a
year now. I have never seen you at either the BAFUG meetings or the
Install-A-Thons. I have seen Duncan MacKinnon, Rick Moen and, Don Marti at
our meetings and Install-A-Thons. In fact, these hard-core Linux people and
others have shown up at most of our Install-A-Thons to help out with
promoting FreeBSD and installing FreeBSD. I can't count the number of times
I have heard Rick Moen say to people asking about Linux or FreeBSD that
FreeBSD has a better IP stack or VM system. He often tells people that if
they are running a web server that is getting 1000 hits a day that either
Linux or FreeBSD will do but if you are getting 1,000,000 hits a day you
had better be running FreeBSD, that Linux will just not hold up to that
kind of traffic.

The truth of the matter is that here in the Bay Area the Linux and FreeBSD
camps work together based on the theory that "The enemy of my enemy is my
friend". We play very well together. Both camps are mature enough to
acknowledge the strengths of the other OS and weakness of their own
OS. You, on the other hand, are an ideologue and a zealot. Something that
most people including myself do not like. You are giving FreeBSD a bad
name. If you wish to be an ideologue, fine, just do it some where else.

I have not seen you at any of the meetings and have never shown up to work
the Install-A-Thons. The only thing you have contributed to the Refund Day
effort is to piss and moan about how the evil Linux people are taking
over. To be very blunt, I am running this show and you don't have a say in
this.  Let me ask you, are you running a users group in your area? Are you
running Install-A-Thons? What are you doing to promote FreeBSD beside
pissing and moaning? All you are managing to do is to get youself enshrined
in peoples kill filters.

Brett, If you don't have something positive to contribute please have the
good grace to bugger off.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses