Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:06:15 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

At 11:47 AM 6/17/98 +1000, you wrote:

>Most people don't use vi as their main editor but have some skill with it
>to use in an emergency. I won't be pressured into using vi, and nobody
>will think me less of a man because of that.

By your name, I would guess you were a woman, but who knows ... ;-)

>When there's nothing else
>around, I can use ed.

Why would there be nothing else around?  You could stick gunzip and a
gzip'ed version of ee on a single floppy disk and take it with you wherever
you go, or probably ee or a similar editor would fit on a floppy just fine
uncompressed.

What everyone's telling me is something like "Maybe someday you'll go
blind, so it would do you good to learn braille now, just in case."  My
reply:  Hmmmm... maybe so, but I'm not gonna do it.

Actually, maybe I WOULD learn some basic Vi if I didn't feel pressured into
it, but I'm feeling a little pressure from the non-newbies in this group.
I believe I've insulted one of the original holy Unix commands that has
been around since the first days of *nix.  Something like saying something
nasty about Jesus to a born again christian.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.