Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 08:19:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing FreeBSD 2.0.5 ALPHA!

On Tue, 30 May 1995, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > However, I have tried installing it on a PC with an older 300MB ESDI drive
> > that has several bad sectors; initially, I tried to just un-tar the
>
> Hmm, we cannot guarantee to find all badspots with a simple read-check,
> but that you have trouble with badspots on the list makes me wonder if
> your boot-blocks got updated right.
>
> Try to wipe the disk entirely before installing again...

This morning I remembered what I had done -- I had gone through the
install, hung up after unpacking the compat1x dist, and then run through
the install again without setting the "check for bad blocks" flag in the
partition screen.  Just now I booted the system in single-user mode,
"disklabel -e wd0", and added "badsect" to the flags line, rebooted, and
now the system seems to be using the bad-block table correctly.

I had hoped that the bad-block table would be relocated towards the front
of the disk, but at least on my system, the bad block table is still near
the end of the drive (well beyond cyl 1024 on my untranslated-disk...).

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu