Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:30:50 -0500
From:      Jeremy McMillan <aphor@ripco.NOSPAM.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum performance testing...

***** skip the following three paragraphs if you're not interested in the
politics *****

This is funny. Not funny "ha ha", but I think it's actually indicative of
the high quality of free software: we have to argue whether pre-release
features/functionality should be used in critical production machines.

I agree that "sworn-off" is bad form, but the proper response is that
FreeBSD has a well developed and executed quality control protocol. Nobody
here has *any* reason to foist inadequate software on anyone else. The other
side of it is *everybody* here has good reason to prevent urban legends from
undermining the FreeBSD project.

BTW: (IMnsHO) any business that can tolerate the unknown risks of WinNT in
production can also handle the calculated risks of FreeBSD-STABLE and its
marginal technology. We need to be very careful (and honest) about what
those risks are.

***** start reading here if you're skimming *****
Which brings me to my question:
If I were to experiment with vinum reliability, what *exactly* should I toy
with to create failures, and what would they look like?
(please respond to me directly and not the list, unless you can redirect the
thread to a better list with some background in this question)

--
PLEASE NOTICE: THERE MAY BE NOSPAM IN THE HEADERS WHEN YOU HIT "REPLY"!!!
Jeremy McMillan <aphor at  ripco.com> | Ask for PGP-2.6.2 or 5.0i