Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 23:33:08 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: Rebooting and related topics..

>shutdown. looking at the boot code however, I see that about 90%
>of boot() in machdep.c is in fact NOT mach dependent at all.

>1/ am I correct?

A bit less than 90% is machine-independent.  E.g., some of the delays
may depend on the machine (they should probably be 0 for a a completely
automated system...  DELAY() is only declared in a machine-dependent
header now).  Amyway, there should be a machine-dependent hook, like
like md^H^Hcpu_switch() for mi_switch().

>2/ can anyone suggest the correct place for it?

Perhaps together with panic().  Not in subr_prf.c :-).

>3/ The callout code has a prototype for the function at_reboot()
>	where should this prototype live? (I've dropped it into
>	systm.h at the moment)

Why not in reboot.h?  There is some confusion between booting, shutdown
and rebooting.  Many of the reboot options are actually only boot options
because the i386 port lacks a boot ROM or something to keep control
across reboots.

Bruce