Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 08:27:32 -0500
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re:  mcast and sd/vat/wb

> From: "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> Subject: mcast and sd/vat/wb
>
> I'm asking someone with experience in using the sd/vat/wb software:
>
> When I start a sd session on one machine and start sd on another machine,
> shouldn't the session of the one machine show up in the session directory
> of the other machine immediately?

No.  The protocol only broadcasts a message every 3 minutes or so.  You won't
see sessions until this broadcast is sent out and only if your machine
receives the udp packet correctly.

If you start the sd on the listening machine, then start a session it should
show up immediately.

> With me it doesn't though I have both machines configured MROUTING, bpfilter 4,
> mcast routes are set up. The 'other' machine is running mrouted and
> has a connection to the MBONE.

If you are connected to the mbone you should see a bunch of other sessions
once you start sd.  It can take several minutes for you to get everything.

While the reasons for this might not be immediately obvious, think of the
number of hosts on the mbone -- if every time someone started a session
directory originators had to multicast all their data, the mbone would be
flooded.

I beleive you only need the MROUTING option if you are going to be using
your machine as an Mbone router.

Do you have a default route set up for the multicast (224.0.0.0) network?

BTW: The mir space docking is going to happend at 8:35 pm tonight.  They will
most likely have it live on the mbone.

	-Jim