Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 01:35:40 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, gj@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hylafax - a patch to fix the broken port, tested against ctm444.

Hi Rod,

Re.
> > CC Readers:
> > 	If you don't want to wait for the CVS + CTM delay, grabs it now.
> > 	My unbroken original Hylafax port also remains in freefall:~jhs
> > 	(this never got sent to ctm recipients, as between my original commit
> > 	& the ctm 0438 transmission, someone broke it.
> >

> I see a real problem here, the file patch-aa will never contain the
> $Header$ strings you commit due to the way cvs works!!

Yes, I realise that patch-aa should not have access to its's own cvs header
string.
Sam Leffler's patch.sh upgrades about 7 of his RCS header lines, as well as
his code, all in files which are extracted from the distfile.
My patch-aa treated Sam's RCS headers as plain text, (to show
where we got the distribution from ) in the same way it changed the code.

> I will probably
> have to nuke the current patch-aa,v file.  Import a correct one and then
> do a cvs admin -ko on it so that all RCS strings are left untouched by
> cvs on check out.

It sounds like you think our CVS spots RCS strings embedded in the middle of
patch-aa & changes them, when we need them unchanged ?
I'm not sure if this is a bug, a feature, or even desirable (I guess: bug ?).

> This is neither Julian's or Satashi's fault that this problem arrose, it
> was a misunderstanding of just what CVS is going to do to this patch
> file and requires a repository manager (mangler if you prefer) to make
> it work correctly.
>
> > *** /usr3/ports/comms/hylafax.ctm444/patches/patch-aa	Mon May 22 15:21:15 1995
> > --- /usr3/ports/comms/hylafax.jhs/patches/patch-aa	Sun May 21 19:36:59 1995
> > ***************
>
> DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMMIT THIS PATCH, it will not do what you think it will
> do.  The $Header$ and $Id$ strings will change to 1.2, not what you want
> them to!!
>
> I will look closely at the patch and see if I can do the patch in such
> a way that it applies cleanly without looking at the RCS strings (either
> narrow the context diff with a -c 2 or -c 1, or possible use a unidiff
> format).

Thanks Rod, It'll be great to see Hylafax resolved :-)

> Can you give me the original ``clean'' full version of the patch-aa file
> as it should be to apply to the fetched port files.

Sure, My original is in something like :
	freefall:~jhs/hylafax.as.committed/patches/patch-aa
I have also mailed you a personal copy (12K).
I generated patch-aa by uudecoding the commented out preamble email in patch-aa
(which is from Sam's post to the flexfax list).
Uudecoding creates patch.sh which applies some sort of non context diff.
I applied patch.sh on the extracted distfile, then generated patch-aa with
diff -c.
The uuencoded original mail comes from Sam Leffler, author of Hylafax.
patch-aa is dedicated to reproducing what Sam released, there's none of my
stuff in there, so if you need to, you can work from Sam's original.

> This will take me some time to resolve, as I will have to fetch the
> bits over a 28.8K line :-(.

Sorry it'll clog your line a bit, the distfile is > 1.06 M byte.
But Hylafax is a nice package to have around :-)
(PS I run my V32bis at 9K6 to my IP provider currently, (as 14.4 fails)).

If it help to save you downloading, I have a directory
	freefall:~jhs/hylafax.compile (or something like that)
where I was test compiling today, the make was nohup'ed & cc'ing when I left.
Change what you want in there,
The Makefile has a couple of slight diference from the distrib.
(eg I suppressed check on ghostscript exec. temporarily).

Thanks :-)

Julian S. 	jhs@freebsd.org