Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:24:12 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Gerald Victor Fontenay <fontenay@sfsu.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: vi

At 07:22 PM 6/16/98 -0700, Gerald Victor Fontenay wrote:
>if you do even the smallest amount of administration, you simply need
>to know how to use vi..it's not just for emergencies..everyone who uses
>a unix system "should" learn atleast the basic commands..this has been
>quite the thread in this mailing list..is it really that hard to learn
>a few keystrokes?

No.  The simple fact is, I don't want to right now, and don't yet see the
point in doing so.  Personally, I believe this thread got heated because I
basically insulted an original, holy Unix text editor.  Thou shalt not
denigrate Vi.. it's in the Unix Bible.  So anyway, here are these Unix
old-timers hanging around this group for whatever reason (to help out, for
amusement purposes watching newbies blunder around, whatever) and along
comes this Windows guy who puts down one of the *nix commands that's been
around since 1945 or so.  How dare he?  Thou hath insulted the great Vi.
That's how I'm seeing it at this point, anyway.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.