Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:14:02 +0200
From:      Yury Tarasievich <grog@grsu.by>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making pkg_XXX tools smarter about file types...

...first, clemens fischer wrote:

>Yury Tarasievich <grog@grsu.by>:
>
>>I'd like to see in dependencies not only like "was built with
>>-1.9_2abc, so wants it", but also something like -1.5+ (obviously
>>1.5.0 and newer), -* (any version will do). Perhaps something else. At
>>least to have possibility of specifying that, if this can't go into
>>official ports. Does it seem reasonable?
>>

>this problem has been annoying me for ages, but he who implements this
>should consider dependencies specified too liberally.  sometimes newer
>versions aren't backwards compatible, which you can't know back in the
>past.

Well, someone *should* pay *some* attention to what he's porting, right?
And I've seen some ports even aren't compliant with hier(7), too.

...then, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> A better approach might be to simply fob it
> off on the user, i.e.,
>
> # pkg_install foo-1.5
> Warning: foo-1.5 requires bar-2.3, you have bar-1.7 installed.
> Proceed? [Y/n]

In my opinion, user should be bothered with choices *only* when, like in
this example, when dependency isn't *at* *all* satisfied. User
definitely should *not* be bothered when differences are irrelevant to
the functionality. E.g., ask only when bar-1.7 is installed and 2.3+
required, not when bar-1.7 is installed and say 1.4.1+ is required.

I think dependencies could / should also have *upper* revision limit
(library interface change, e.g.). And there could also be functionality
of system-wide dependencies updating (isn't there one?)

I've seen interesting concept of version number processing by
D.J.Bernstein (called slashpackage, I believe).