Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:47:23 +0100
From:      "ian j hart" <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        "Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez" <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:

----- Original Message -----
From: Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
To: Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc: Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>; <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: 26 August 1999 17:22

> > I don't remember reading if anyone was really successful at making the
> > jump from 2.2.x to 3.x in one step. There is a user's write up on what
> > he did at http://freebsd.simplenet.com/make-upgrade.html
> >
> > You might try what he has done.
> >
> > Kent
>

> Thanks, I'll go check it right away, you know, I'm scared about this, I'm
> now trying to upgrade my own FreeBSD workstation to later think about
> upgrading a couple of production systems. I'll do it just if upgrading my
> own one is successfull.

This is my first post, please be gentle with me :-)

I have just done this very thing, namely upgrade from 2_2_6_RELEASE to
3_1_STABLE. My advice would be very simple, don't do it. You will find it
much less stressfull to start from scratch and ftp the binaries.

I should say before I get too deeply into this that my knowledge of the
inner workings of BSD could be written on the back of a postcard. Secondly,
I didn't keep any kind of log. To be quite honest I wasn't expecting it to
work at all. This is my home system so I was quite prepared to go the ftp
binaries route after the experiment with the source.

I did a make clean before the make upgrade. I still had to pass -k to make
as doscmd wouldn't build. After recompiling the kernel I thought I had a
working system. However I was getting some wierd things happening. I
discovered that the file system was being corrupted. This seemed to be due
to interrupting processes, either with CONTROL C or kill. Another make world
+ kernel ( or 3) seems to have sorted the problem. There were quite a few
files in /etc which I thought were up to date but which were not. Of course
this was quite difficult. Since the file system was subject to corruption I
had to fix it and refetch source files several times before I got a good
build. Some parts of amd still refuse to build.

So far I have spent 2 weeks+ on this. Admittedly in my spare time. X has
proved as difficult to build but now runs. Netscape however does not, so I'm
mailing this from MSWidows.

So as not to be all doom and gloom, I can say I've learnt a great deal. Also
I would recommend to you cvsupit and mergemaster. All praise to the coders.

ian

e-mail: ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk