Date:      01 Nov 2001 11:05:11 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rc.d patch to test out

Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net> writes:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Nate Williams wrote:
> > Not where I'm from.  It's considered as normal as using someone's first
> > name, and in other cultures using a first name is actually rude.
> IIRC, the French do this, no?

It's considered formal and a bit cold, bordering on condescending.
The only occasion where I find it normal (and non-offensive) to call
people by their last name is when calling out a roster or a waiting
list.

Things are slightly different in Norway, where last-name-only used to
be the polite form of address until some time after the war.  Doctors
still tend to address you by your last name to maintain professional
distance and deference to their patients.  Apart from that (and the
"calling out a roster" situation) everybody's on a first-name basis.

DES (prefers DES in most circumstances)
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org