Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 10:56:37 -0459 (CDT)
From:      "Boyd R. Faulkner" <faulkner@asgard.bga.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SciTeXt (font problem)

The solution that comes with it is to copy the executable to
/usr/local/scitext/bin/xscitext and use the script that untars
into /usr/local/scitext/bin/scitext

> cat scitext
#!/bin/sh

export SCITEXT='/usr/local/scitext/'
export XAPPLRESDIR=$SCITEXT/etc/xpm
xset +fp $SCITEXT/fonts
xset fp rehash
exec $SCITEXT/bin/logo &
sleep 2
exec $SCITEXT/bin/xscitext &

the xset +fp solves the problem neatly.

Boyd

According to Amancio Hasty:

> Given that scitext is *alpha* my choice is 1 and in fact I would keep it
> that way for a long time -- a good word processor will be very demanding
> on the server by way of possibly requesting all sorts of odd fonts.
>
> However , it is not that difficult to add to your .xinitrc
> xset +fp /usr/local/scitext/fonts &
>

> I sure hope that scitext excites people enough to further develop it.
>

> 	Amancio
>
> >From The Desk Of Chuck Robey :

> > > Which raises the question: Which is better policy for installing fonts
> > > under X:
> > >
> > > 1) adding an arbitrary non-evident directory to the fontpath
> > >
> > > 2) creating another directory in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> > >
> > > 3) putting the fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
> >
> > My personal answer?  A choice of either options 1 or three, depending on
> > how large the new fonts collection was.  For scitext, a new directory, and
> > a warning echoed to stdout telling folks what to do (also in DESCR).

> > Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> > chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> > 9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> > Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and n3lxx, both FreeBSD
> > (301) 220-2114              | version 2.2 current -- and great FUN!

        Boyd Faulkner            "The fates lead him who will;
   faulkner@asgard.bga.com       Him who won't, they drag."
http://asgard.bga.com/~faulkner  Old Roman Saying -- Source:  Joseph Campbell