Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:35:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   gettings snapshots of load spikes

	Hi hackers,

 I am having a real weird problem with a newly installed Dell PowerEdge
2650 which acts as a web (Apache) and mail server(Procmail). The load just
'spikes' sometimes (to 40.00 or so), but immediately starts to go down.
No matter what I've tried I couldn't get a snapshot of the running
processes, to discover which one(s) was the one responsible for this load.
I have even tried running 'top -S -t -q -u -d 1' in a 'while (1)' loop
from a shell, and redirecting the output to a file. I got nothing in the
processlist, just the 'last pid' value was incremented by approx. 10.

 One question would be: any idea of how to get a snapshot of the system in
the exact moment when the load sky-rockets?

 The other would be if there are any known problems related to
4.7-release-p2 (and these load spikes, of course). My configuration
follows:

- Dell PowerEdge 2650 (2x P4 at 1.8Ghz, 1GB of Ram, raid5 controller -
Perc 3/di, dual Broadcom Gigabit onboard)
- Could a big partition (260GB) cause the problems above? 'cause I've got
one.
- FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2

 On this machine I run only Apache, Procmail, Pureftp (ftp daemon idle
most of the time) and NTP. The mail/ftp traffic can be easily ignored, but
Apache is tuned as a larg installation (max of 2000 children, usually
having only 500 running -- out of which approx. 100 have requests, and the
other just idling).

 I don't have any cron jobs except for the ones default in FreeBSD.

 Thank you for your help,
 bogdan

iCom Media AG
Kirchweg 36