Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:57:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Antivirus for (mailservers on) FreeBSD

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, David Kelly wrote:

> How does "antivirus mail filtering" differ significantly from spam
> filtering?  Seems to me these two should be one and the same as "spam"
> is a form of malicious code.
>
> Teach a spam filter what the virus looks like and kill two birds with
> the same stone.

A spam filter can help.

But a virus may be embedded in compressed files. A good anti-virus
solution knows how to look at zip files, et cetera.

I have a list of Email Virus Scanners and/or Spam Filters to run on the
Mail Server at http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/mail/filters.html

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/