Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:50:56 -0500
From:      Greg Groth <ggroth@gregs-garage.com>
To:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMTP-AUTH woes.

> did you buildworld before you recompiled sendmail?  ive found that if i
> buildworld, that before i recompile sendmail (to implement sasl2) that i have
> to make clean on my /usr/src, or else make will try to use what was already
> recompiled for sendmail during the buildworld.
>
> hth,
> jonathan

This is a relatively fresh install, and I did update my ports with
portsnap / portmanager, then cvsuped src-all and ran buildworld before
playing around with this.  I did not run make clean before the
buildworld process though.  I did attempt to rebuild just sendmail after
I started having these problems:

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
make clean
make depend
make
make install

Nothing changed though.

I was thinking on this a bit further, and although I don't have any of
the error messages, I believe I was running into similar issues with
Postfix last week.  The box in question died on me, I don't have a
battery backup and we had a brownout.  While fscking the system because
of the first brownout, we had a second, which rendered the box useless.
    I recall moving the unused sasl mechanisms out of
/usr/local/lib/sasl2 into a "deactivated" directory (per some how-tos),
and ended up with plain being the only mechanism left, and Postfix
started giving error messages about no mechanisms available and couldn't
seem to find plain text.  I figured I screwed something up with Postfix,
and went back to sendmail for this install until I had more time to play
around with Postfix.  I'll try the make clean / buildworld thing tonight
to see if that helps, and post back if it doesn't.

Best regards,
Greg Groth