Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:25:12 -0400
From:      Daniel Guetzkow <guetzkow@access.digex.net>
To:        "'mlduke@concentric.net'" <mlduke@concentric.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: A Driver, A Revelation

For want of a nail, the kingdom was lost.....

A driver connects generic commands from the operating system or application
to a specific piece of hardware.

For instance, the command "Go get file 'foobar.doc' " gets converted into
a series of specific CPU instructions that cause electrical activity on the CD ROM's
IDE bus that causes that to actually happen intelligently. Drivers know how chips
are controlled....

I take it you are looking for Mitsumi drivers for DOS? why not just get 'em from
the source? Most hardware companies have posted their drivers, as they don't
get rich helping you get a new copy, but they do get bad-mouthed if you can
get their hardware to work..

In this case, go look at

http://www.mitsumi.com/frmdri.htm

or just http://www.mitsumi.com which is how I found it for you. Now if you had
said you had a Sony drive, guess where I would have looked???? :-) You can use
a search engine like AltaVista to help you find stuff. Sometimes a retailer or a
distributor posts it, but the factory can't even be located.....

I have found that most $16 3.5" drives are not as reliable as a download....
but they are much cheaper now....

From: Daniel Guetzkow just click here: mailto:guetzkow@access.digex.net