Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:04:48 +0200
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>, Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-STABLE hangs after several hours ...

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 02:17:42PM +0300, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> Hi,

> > >  It seems that I've been bitten by the same bug (the machine suddenly
> > > freezes after some 2-3 hours); I'm checking out right now the submitted
> > > patch and I'll let you know (probably tomorrow) how it works for me...
> > >

> > Please check if you have a process hung in "objtrm".  Juergen did.
>
>  I haven't the kernel debugger compiled in (as this is a production
> machine);

First, you don't need the kernel debugger to check a hung processes
wchan, a ps -l will show it as well.  (as does a ^t on its control tty,
if it has one)

>  anyone care to point me out some documentatin suited to my
> situation (kernel debugging on production machines) ?

 There's a section about kernel debugging in the handbook,

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

about production machines, well, you can still add ddb with the

	options         DDB_UNATTENDED

then the box will recover itself from a panic as it does without ddb.
and the stuff about enabling crashdumps and building a kernel with -g
applies to all machines anyway as long as you can spare the diskspace...

> > If so, this is the same bug reported in the "mSQL getting stuck
> > in objtrm state" thread, and it has nothing to do with the changes
> > below.  (See my earlier message on this subject to the -STABLE list.)
>
>  I checked out the previous threads and my situation appears to be similar
> to those described in the "On freezes in 3.2-stable" thread, although I
> have only 128Mb of RAM and UP kernel; see the attached dmesg output for
> more details...
>
>  Let me tell you how it worked for me:
>
>   * I had an uptime of more than 13 hours with Juergen's patch, but that's
>     not so conclusive, as these freezes tend to be somewhat random
>
>   * When I saw your commit I reverted the patch, cvsupped and rebuilt the
>     kernel; the machine hung up some 7-8 hours later ...

 with the atomic.h fix (which alc mailed me) i cannot reproduce the
hang anymore, at least the way i could with the broken kernels.
so i would _guess_ that this hang you got had a different cause
and it would be interesting to know what it was...

>  I really don't know what to blame, kernel bug or faulty hardware; one
> thing I can be sure about is that the machine has been rock stable until
> I've started to track -STABLE from 3.1-RELEASE somtime around 6th August.

 All -stable kernels after Jul 28 showed the hangs for me.

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)