Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 02:41:58 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [kelley@interpactinc.com: Believe Me or Not, It's Up to You]

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

A very interesting email.

Kris

----
From: Red Thomas
Subject: BELIEVE ME OR NOT---IT'S UP TO YOU

  THE REAL STORY

With all the hysteria that has been going around about the use of=20
biological weapons (not to mention chemical and nuclear), I think the best=
=20
antidote of all is education and level-headedness.

So here is the REAL STORY. Remember, terrorists can't win if we aren't=20
terrified.

Since the media has decided to scare everyone with predictions of chemical,=
=20
biological, or nuclear warfare on our turf I decided to write a paper and=
=20
keep things in their proper perspective. I am a retired military weapons,=
=20
munitions, and training expert.
Lesson number one: In the mid 1990's there were a series of nerve gas=20
attacks on crowded Japanese subway stations. Given perfect conditions for=
=20
an attack less than 10% of the people there were injured (the injured were=
=20
better in a few hours) and only one percent of the injured died. 60 Minutes=
=20
once had a fellow telling us that one drop of nerve gas could kill a=20
thousand people; well he didn't tell you the thousand dead people per drop=
=20
was theoretical.
Drill sergeants exaggerate how terrible this stuff was to keep the recruits=
=20
awake in class (I know this because I was a Drill sergeant too).

Forget everything you've ever seen on TV, in the movies, or read in a novel=
=20
about this stuff, it was all a lie (read this sentence again out loud!)!=20
These weapons are about terror, if you remain calm, you will probably not=
=20
die. This is far less scary than the media and their "Experts," make it sou=
nd.

Chemical weapons are categorized as Nerve, Blood, Blister, and=20
Incapacitating agents. Contrary to the hype of reporters and politicians=20
they are not weapons of mass destruction. Instead, they are "Area denial",=
=20
and terror weapons that don't destroy anything. When you leave the area you=
=20
almost always leave the risk. That's the difference; you can leave the area=
=20
and the risk; soldiers may have to stay put and sit through it and that's=
=20
why they need all that spiffy gear.

These are not gasses; they are vapors or air borne particles. The agent=20
must be delivered in sufficient quantity to kill or injure, and that=20
defines when and how it's used. Every day we have a morning and evening=20
inversion where "stuff," suspended in the air gets pushed down. This=20
inversion is why allergies (pollen) and air pollution are worst at these=20
times of the day. o, a chemical attack will have its best effect an hour of=
=20
so either side of sunrise and sunset. Also, being vapors and airborne=20
particles they are heavier than air so they will seek low places like=20
ditches, basements and underground garages.

This stuff won't work when it's freezing, it doesn't last when it's hot,=20
and wind spreads it too thin - too fast. They've got to get this stuff on=
=20
you, or, get you to inhale it for it to work. They also have to get the=20
concentration of chemicals high enough to kill or wound you. Too little and=
=20
it's nothing, too much and it's wasted. What I hope you've gathered by this=
=20
point is that a chemical weapons attack that kills a lot of people is=20
incredibly hard to do with military grade agents and equipment so you can=
=20
imagine how hard it will be for terrorists. The more you know about this=20
stuff the more you realize how hard it is to use.

We'll start by talking about nerve agents. You have these in your house;=20
plain old bug killer (like Raid) is nerve agent. All nerve agents work the=
=20
same way; they are cholinesterase inhibitors that mess up the signals your=
=20
nervous system uses to make your body function. It can harm you if you get=
=20
it on your skin but it works best if they can get you to inhale it. If you=
=20
don't die in the first minute and you can leave the area you're probably=20
gonna live. The military's antidote for all nerve agents is atropine and=20
pralidoxime chloride. Neither one of these does anything to cure the nerve=
=20
agent, they send your body into overdrive to keep you alive for five=20
minutes, after that the agent is used up. Your best protection is fresh air=
=20
and staying calm.

Listed below are the symptoms for nerve agent poisoning. sudden headache,=
=20
Dimness of vision (someone you're looking at will have pinpointed pupils),=
=20
Runny nose, Excessive saliva or drooling, Difficulty breathing, Tightness=
=20
in chest, Nausea, stomach cramps, Twitching of exposed skin where a liquid=
=20
just got on you. If you are in public and you start experiencing these=20
symptoms, first ask yourself, did anything out of the ordinary just happen,=
=20
a loud pop, did someone spray something on the crowd? Are other people=20
getting sick too?

Is there an odor of new mown hay, green corn, something fruity, or camphor=
=20
where it shouldn't be? If the answer is yes, then calmly (if you panic you=
=20
breathe faster and inhale more air/poison) leave the area and head up wind,=
=20
or, outside.

Fresh air is the best "right now antidote". If you have a blob of liquid=20
that looks like molasses or Kayro syrup on you; blot it or scrape it off=20
and away from yourself with anything disposable. This stuff works based on=
=20
your body weight, what a crop duster uses to kill bugs won't hurt you=20
unless you stand there and breathe it in real deep, then lick the residue=
=20
off the ground for while. Remember they have to do all the work, they have=
=20
to get the concentration up and keep it up for several minutes while all=20
you have to do is quit getting it on you--quit breathing it by putting=20
space between you and the attack.

Blood agents are cyanide or arsine, which affect your blood's ability to=20
provide oxygen to your tissue. The scenario for attack would be the same as=
=20
nerve agent. Look for a pop or someone splashing or spraying something and=
=20
folks around there getting woozy and falling down. The telltale smells are=
=20
bitter almonds or garlic where it shouldn't be. The symptoms are blue lips,=
=20
blue under the fingernails rapid breathing. The military's antidote is amyl=
=20
nitride and just like nerve agent antidote it just keeps your body working=
=20
for five minutes till the toxins are used up. Fresh air is the your best=20
individual chance.

Blister agents (distilled mustard) are so nasty that nobody wants to even=
=20
handle it let alone use it. It's almost impossible to handle safely and may=
=20
have delayed effect of up to 12 hours. The attack scenario is also limited=
=20
to the things you'd see from other chemicals. If you do get large, painful=
=20
blisters for no apparent reason, don't pop them, if you must don't let the=
=20
liquid from the blister get on any other area, the stuff just keeps on=20
spreading. It's just as likely to harm the user as the target. Soap, water,=
=20
sunshine, and fresh air are this stuff's enemy.

Bottom line on chemical weapons (it's the same if they use industrial=20
chemical spills); they are intended to make you panic, to terrorize you,to=
=20
herd you like sheep to the wolves. If there is an attack, leave the area=20
and go upwind, or to the sides of the wind stream. They have to get the=20
stuff to you, and on you. You're more likely to be hurt by a drunk driver=
=20
on any given day than be hurt by one of these attacks. Your odds get better=
=20
if you leave the area. Soap, water, time, and fresh air really deal this=20
stuff a knock-out-punch. Don't let fear of an isolated attack rule your=20
life. The odds are really on your side.

Nuclear bombs. These are the only weapons of mass destruction on earth. The=
=20
effects of a nuclear bomb are heat, blast, EMP, and radiation. If you see a=
=20
bright flash of light like the sun, where the sun isn't, fall to the=20
ground! The heat will be over a second. Then there will be two blast waves,=
=20
one out going, and one on it's way back. Don't stand up to see what=20
happened after the first wave; anything that's going to happen will have=20
happened in two full minutes.

These will be low yield devices and will not level whole cities. If you=20
live through the heat, blast, and initial burst of radiation, you'll=20
probably live for a very, very long time. Radiation will not create=20
fifty-foot tall women, or giant ants and grass hoppers the size of tanks.=
=20
These will be at the most 1-kiloton bombs; that's the equivalent of 1,000=
=20
tons of TNT.

Here's the real deal, flying debris and radiation will kill a lot of=20
exposed (not all!) people within a half mile of the blast. Under perfect=20
conditions this is about a half-mile circle of death and destruction, but=
=20
when it's done it's done. EMP stands for Electro Magnetic Pulse and it will=
=20
fry every electronic device for a good distance, it's impossible to say=20
what and how far but probably not over a couple of miles from ground zero=
=20
is a good guess. Cars, cell phones, computers, ATMs, you name it, all will=
=20
be out of order.

There are lots of kinds of radiation, you only need to worry about three;=
=20
the others you have lived with for years. You need to worry about "ionizing=
=20
radiation", these are little sub atomic particles that go whizzing along at=
=20
the speed of light. They hit individual cells in your body, kill the=20
nucleus and keep on going. That's how you get radiation poisoning; you have=
=20
so many dead cells in your body that the decaying cells poison you. It's=20
the same as people getting radiation treatments for cancer; only a bigger=
=20
area gets radiated. The good news is you don't have to just sit there and=
=20
take it, and there's lots you can do rather than panic. First; your skin=20
will stop alpha particles, a page of a news paper or your clothing will=20
stop beta particles, you just gotta try and avoid inhaling dust that's=20
contaminated with atoms that are emitting these things and you'll be=20
generally safe from them.

Gamma rays are particles that travel like rays (quantum physics makes my=20
brain hurt) and they create the same damage as alpha and beta particles=20
only they keep going and kill lots of cells as they go all the way through=
=20
your body. It takes a lot to stop these things, lots of dense material on=
=20
the other hand it takes a lot of this to kill you.

Your defense is as always to not panic. Basic hygiene and normal=20
preparation are your friends. All canned or frozen food is safe to eat. The=
=20
radiation poisoning will not affect plants so fruits and vegetables are OK=
=20
if there's no dust on em (rinse em off if there is). If you don't have=20
running water and you need to collect rainwater or use water from wherever,=
=20
just let it sit for thirty minutes and skim off the water gently from the=
=20
top. The dust with the bad stuff in it will settle and the remaining water=
=20
can be used for the toilet that will still work if you have a bucket of=20
water to pour in the tank.

Finally there's biological warfare. There's not much to cover here. Basic=
=20
personal hygiene and sanitation will take you further than a million=20
doctors. Wash your hands often; don't share drinks, food, sloppy=20
kisses,etc., ... with strangers. Keep your garbage can with a tight lid on=
=20
it, don't have standing water (like old buckets, ditches, or kiddie pools)=
=20
laying around to allow mosquitoes breeding room. Vectors, that is bugs,=20
rodents, and contaminated material, carry this stuff. If biological warfare=
=20
is so easy as the TV makes it sound, why has Saddam Hussein spent twenty=20
years, millions, and millions of dollars trying to get it right? If you're=
=20
clean of person and home you eat well and are active you're gonna live.

Overall preparation for any terrorist attack is the same as you'd take for=
=20
a big storm. If you want a gas mask, fine, go get one. I know this stuff=20
and I'm not getting one and I told my Mom not to bother with one either=20
(how's that for confidence). We have a week's worth of cash, several days=
=ED=20
worth of canned goods and plenty of soap and water. We don't leave stuff=20
out to attract bugs or rodents so we don't have them. These people can't=20
conceive a nation this big with this many resources. These weapons are made=
=20
to cause panic, terror, and to demoralize. If we don't run around like=20
sheep they won't use this stuff after they find out it's no fun. The=20
government is going nuts over this stuff because they have to protect every=
=20
inch of America. You've only gotta protect yourself, and by doing that, you=
=20
help the country.

Finally, there are millions of caveats to everything I wrote here and you=
=20
can think up specific scenarios where my advice isn't the best. This letter=
=20
is supposed to help the greatest number of people under the greatest number=
=20
of situations. If you don't like my work, don't nit pick, just sit down and=
=20
explain chemical, nuclear, and biological warfare in a document around=20
three pages long yourself. This is how we the people of the United tates=20
can rob these people of their most desired goal, your terror.

FC Red Thomas (Ret) Armor Master Gunner Mesa, AZ Unlimited reproduction and=
=20
distribution is authorized.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/