Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:22:07 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
Cc:        Andrey Slusar <anrays@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Nobutaka MANTANI <nobutaka@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xemacs vs emacs

Ceri Davies wrote:

> I don't care if these ports conflict.  Is there a way to install them
> both despite the presence of CONFLICTS?

I don't think you can without removing CONFLICTS from Makefile before
installing, but I'd also like to have them both installed on some places...

> Ceri
>
> PS If the xemacs port were to install ctags, etags, etc. as xctags then
>    the conflict could maybe be avoided.  I haven't checked the full list
>    but those are glaring.

FWIW, NetBSD pkgsrc seems to prefix conflicting files with emacs- and xemacs-.
Here are the cvsweb links to their plist files:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/editors/xemacs/PLIST?rev=1.12&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/editors/emacs/PLIST?rev=1.11&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I've CCed the maintainers of emacs, xemacs21-mule and xemacs-mule-devel to see
what they think; other versions seem unmaintained as far as I've checked.

Dejan