Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Cc:        anthony@tmbtax.ru, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] HotPlug HDD & vinum

> At 12:45 AM +0400 1999/9/16,
> =?koi8-r?Q?=E1=CE=D4=CF=CE=20=E1=CE=C1=D4=CF=CC=D8=C5=D7=C9=DE wrote:
>
> > I planning to build new intranet server based of 3-STABLE.
> > Buying of hardware RAID is a bit expensive for me and AFAIK, vinum is
> > the best solution for me.
> > Is it possible to use HotPlug HDD feature under vinum, and if "yes" -
> > HowTo?
>
> 	The equipment I'm aware of supporting a hot swap feature is
> expensive, and requires support from the OS and/or the drivers to
> enable the hot swap features.  I do not believe that this support can
> be found in vinum, nor do I believe that it can be found in FreeBSD
> 3.x-STABLE.

Depends on how automagic you want the ``hot swap''.  If you can deal
with manual intevention the support is in FreeBSD.  I use it on a
regular basis to master drives for production boxes.
camcontrol start/stop/rescan are my friends, and a hot swap paddle
board that lets me gracefully power the drive up and down while
disconneted from the SCSI bus.

It's not DPT with an intergration kit, or Mylex SCSI-SCSI bridging
RAID, but it is hot swap and meets my needs just fine.

> 	If you're going to spend that kind of money for hot swap drives,
> then I think the cost of a hardware RAID controller would be a
> relatively minimal addition.  There's no sense trying to do this on
> the cheap for the controller, when you're then going to go out and
> spend all that much money on the hot swap drives.

Hot Swap != RAID.  Though the two are often used togeather.  The
cost for the Hot Swap done correctly with Kingston Canisters and
true Hot Swap cards that handle the SCSI bus very cleanly for you
is about $260/drive (DE100i + DX100SW).  About $1300 for a 5 drive
setup.  The hardware RAID controller will cost you $1500 to $5000
depending on what you want.   So it's not really ``all that much
money on hot swap drives''.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net