Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:34:43 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Christopher Nehren <apeiron+usenet@coitusmentis.info>
Cc:        roeland.hemsteede@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Autostart files

Christopher Nehren wrote:

>On 2005-03-24, Roeland Hemsteede scribbled these
>curious markings:
>

>>I recently installed the ftp port "wu-ftpd" from /usr/ports/ftp/wu-ftpd.
>>However I cant find out how to start this, I want to add this to the
>>autostart by adding a line to my rc.conf but am unsure what line to add.
>>I tried wu-ftpd_enable="yes" but this didnt work, can someone help me
>>out and tell me what line to add?
>>

>You need to create your own startup script in order to make wu-ftpd
>work. I suggest following an example from another port.

However, a startup script _could_ be as simple as whatever command
you would issue at the CLI to start the program, on a single line,
saved as "uniquefilename.sh" and placed under /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

It is also quite possible to instruct cron to start this server
via root's crontab:

@reboot      /usr/local/bin/someprogram -c /home/me/myconfig 2>&1

However, a more complex script allows easy stopping or
restarting of the daemon, eliminating the need to look up
PID's and/or call kill(1), etc.

Kevin Kinsey

PS > I can't comment on wu-ftpd's security, but it sure looks
like Christopher's warning deserves serious attention, at least
up to the point of making further inquiries via BuqTraq, a
search engine, etc...