Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:53:10 -0400
From:      "R. C. Maples" <rc@rcmaples.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: HowTo: Install freebsd-ppc on a g4 mac mini?

What ever happened to this? Any step by steps on single booting a mac
mini g4 into FreeBSD 7.0-ppc?

On September 28, 2007 Oliver Lietz wrote:

not a detailed how-to but some hints:
You can boot the Mini in target mode and create the partitions from another
Mac with pdisk - first one HFS+, others UFS (your preferred BSD partition
layout: /, swap, tmp, ...).
Create a boot.tbxi file, see below (without #s). Copy the loader from your
FreeBSD install CD and the boot.tbxi to your HFS+ partition.
Reboot the Mini and install FreebBSD from CD, create new file systems with
sysinstall on your UFS partitions. Finish setup and reboot.
On next boot enter OFW and change some settings like below:

boot-device hd:2,\boot.tbxi
boot-file boot.tbxi
boot-command boot

You should reboot after changing settings in OFW (search the web for more
details on changing settings in OFW).
This is straight from memory and some notes. AFAIR you can drop boot.tbxi and
use loader directly - can't say for sure as I had to reinstall Mac OS for
some tests on my Cubes.
If someone is interested in a detailed how-to I will create one next time I
install FreeBSD on my Cubes (will wait until release of 7.0 though).

O.

#### boot.tbxi ####
<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>