Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:15:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> Hmmm.  I'm going to try out this free operating system and maybe get
> away from windoze once and for all.  Gee, I think I'll go drop $40 to
> get this book so I know how to find drive D: as windows calls it.
>
> Yeah, that makes sense.  Har!

	If you are going to be trying out an entirely new way of using
your computer it makes total sense to get some instructions on how to do
that, yes. For some of us the time spent trying to dig out answers on our
own is worth a lot more than the $40 for the book. If that's not true for
you, that's great, but please don't belittle those who offered a
completely rational suggestion. You are making the mistake of equating
"free" with "of no value." The fact that the OS is offered free doesn't
mean that there is not an investment involved. Be it time, money, hair
pulled out, what have you.

> Now before you comment, yes I do own a copy of the book and refer to it
> as needed.  It's an excellent reference, but how to find and mount your
> cd shouldn't require a 2 1/2" thick book whether it's 3am or 3pm.  Many
> new FreeBSD users are coming from the windoze world where the cd just
> shows up like magic.  There's no reason to make it unpleasant for them
> to make the switch by hiding what should be obvious.

	While we can agree to disagree on the "should" at the end of your
sentence, no one disagreed with the premise that the documentation can
stand improvement, and several people offered to commit said improvements
when they arrive. Unfortunately the diff you attached with those changes
seems to be missing from my copy of your e-mail. Can you resubmit it
please?

Thanks,

Doug