Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:50:09 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

Gary Kline writes:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 04:40:13PM -0400, Robert wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 	I used to own a Compaq Proliant 800/850 (one of them) with an
> > internal
> > RAID 5 array with about 4 8gb Seagate Baracude(SCSI UW).  I had two of the
> > drives fail on me after about 4 years, due to heat and just the
> > fact that we plain ran them into the ground.  I have a feeling that these
> > new IDE drives, much like some old SCSI drives, have problems with
> > inadequate ventilation.  Most of these new 7200 rpm drives (IDE) run VERY
> > hot and most people do not provide proper cooling for their computers.  I
> > recommend to anyone who wants to extend the life of their ide
> > drives to purchase the "drive cooler" product from Antec.  Not only do
> > they cool the drives down they have a protective dust shield where the
> > fans are so you dont contribute to dirtying the components.
>

> 	Can you explain more about these drive-coolers?  URL's or
> 	whatever would help.

Don't sweat the drive cooler stuff just yet. Go to Radio Shack,
Walmart, K-Mart, etc, and purchase an indoor/outdoor digital
thermometer, preferably one with a max/min function. $15 to $25. Mount
the outdoor probe on your HD. Then decide for yourself if the HD is too
hot. I have lots of fans, an extra blowing out, an extra blowing on the
HD. And the result is my FH 3.5" IBM SCSI 9G HD is running 15 degrees F
over room temperature. Currenlty its 94F on the HD.

Without digging up manufacturer's specs about 115F to 120F is where I'd
start getting really worried.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net