Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:59:05 -0500
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How stable is 4.9-RELEASE proving to be?

At 11:41 10/29/2003, Brett Glass wrote:
>We need immediate feedback on the stability of FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE. (Yes, I
>know, people are just starting to download it now.) We want and need some of
>the important fixes that went into -STABLE in the past month (including vital
>upates to IPFW2), but can't afford to put a release that's not absolutely
>solid on a production system. (For the same reason, we probably won't go to
>5.x until 5.3.) The comment in the release notes suggesting that conservative
>users stick with 4.8-RELEASE is not encouraging. If 4.9 isn't stable, we may
>be forced to jump over to OpenBSD 3.4 for new production systems.
>
>Will there be a 4.9.1 if there are serious problems in 4.9?

Can't tell you anything about ipfw2 as I'm not using it.. but my update to
4.9-stable is running just fine for a box only up 13hrs since the update.

Production DB server, postgres 7.3.4.  The box is an SMP athlon with 2GB
and an ICP hardware raid.  Typically day has a load starting around 0.2,
gradually ramping up to 5 or 6, then trailing back off.

So far everything is running without a hitch.. where everything is
basically the set of ssh, postgresql, and your standard services.  Nothing
critical or basic seems to be broken.

Other boxes to be updated before the end of the week.

-Allen