Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:17:33 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettings snapshots of load spikes

Bogdan TARU wrote:

>  I am having a real weird problem with a newly installed Dell PowerEdge
> 2650 which acts as a web (Apache) and mail server(Procmail). The load just
> 'spikes' sometimes (to 40.00 or so), but immediately starts to go down.

Could be Apache restarting a bunch of children all at once.
Could be a burst of CGI requests.

Try looking at your 'top' snapshots just before and after
the spike.  Look to see if there are any processes
whose PIDs seem to have changed.  That might indicate
that some processes are getting restarted.

Also, look in your apache and mail server log files
to see if you're getting a burst of some sort of
errors around that time.

Hope this helps,

Tim Kientzle