Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:21:51 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pine and Pico

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 12:34:20PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> (1) My question was so simple I was sure it has been asked before.

That being the case, please take the time to use the mailing list archives
at <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/>; and facilities like DejaNews (at
<URL:http://www.dejanews.com/>.

Or there's always the system manual pages. A quick

    % man sh

would show you the information you're looking for in the "Invocation"
section.

Alternatively, you could look at some existing shell scripts on your
system to see if they do it. /etc/rc, /etc/rc.serial and /etc/rc.firewall
have examples of examining the positional parameters passed to a script
(although, granted, they're not the easiest code to understand).

> (2) There are hundreds of questions a day being asked and answered in that
> newsgroup (I should know, I was subscribed to it for exactly half a day),
> one or two from me a week isn't going to contribute much of anything,
> unless they're very esoteric and technical questions that have likely not
> been asked before.

I don't follow that. If you mean that people ignore the simple questions
that are sent to -questions then I have to disagree with you. Any number
of people (Doug White, for example, and sometimes even myself) answer
questions in there at all levels of experience.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. But please

  a) Take the five minutes necessary to do some digging on the Internet
     (if you have a connection you can use) and locally to try and find
     the answer.

  b) Use the appropriate forum for your question.

Cheers,

You are in a maze of twisty signature files all the same.
--
You are in a maze of twisty signature files all alike.