Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 21:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joel Yancey <python@cia-g.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R installation troubles

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Joel Yancey wrote:

> ok, i boot up with the boot.flp, run the upgrade (or novice installion,
> tried them both) and it runs great, until the FTP, then it ALWAYS stops
> at 1225100, and then if you wait a VERY long time, like an hour, it'll
> possible get more, or it'll timeout and hang up. most of the time it
> times out, and asks me if i want to try to get more, and i answer yes, it
> gets the doc, although it pauses about every meg or so, and then it goes
> on.

Hm.  ftp.freebsd.org is pretty loaded right now, it may be hanging on a
new 'get' command.  Or your link may be timing out at just that point.  Is
this in the bindist?

Take a look at the debug screen (ALT-F2) and look for any errors.

>   the first part of my install my com2 wouldnt work, and com1 i cant use
> becuase for some reason i always loose my route to my ISP. but i got that
> working fine as of now, but a friend of mine also had to swtch com ports
> from 1 to 2 instead of like me 2 to 1, because it would talk to the
> modem, on neither of our computers.

This is due to a misconfiguration of the sio ports or your BIOS.  FreeBSD
uses the standard settings for the sio ports and if they don't probe then
your BIOS was changed.

Nothing can conflict with the sio devices.