Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:22:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jeremy Prior <jez@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Notebook recommendations sought

All,
    I'm looking to buy a Notebook/Laptop computer specifically to
run FreeBSD.  When mobile, this machine will be carted around client
sites and run as a surrogate desktop machine.  When stationary,
it'll just be a desktop machine.

Therefore, my criteria are:

  - Good Connectivity (ability to use various Ethernet technologies easily,
    as I'll not know in advance what I'm going to need);
  - Ability to drive an external screen at a good X resolution (1024x768x256
    or better at >= 75Hz)
  - Ability to attach external keyboard and mouse

I'm not worried about:

  - Large builtin screen;
  - Long battery life;

or any of the other details that are usually associated with laptops
- this is going to be a portable desktop machine.

Other details:
  - Disk capacity is more important than processor speed (providing the
    processor is Pentium MMX or better)
  - I'd go for a `named' brand over `no-named'.
  - UK availability preferred (but don't let that put you off).

I run -stable at work, but would not be adverse to running -current
if necessary.  I'm not that fussed about multi-media paraphernalia,
but I'd prefer mediocre but supported features over whizzo unsupported
ones any day :-)

Basically, which machines (or just manufacturers) are best supported
by FreeBSD?

Thanks in advance,
jez
--
Jeremy Prior  <jez@netcraft.co.uk>  http://www.netcraft.co.uk/
 Netcraft Ltd,  1 Somerset Street,  Bath,  BA1 1TS,  England.