Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:54:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        murray@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9 is now available

I downloaded the 4.9-i386-disc1.iso file, verified its md5 fingerprint,
burned it to CD, copied the CD back into a file, verified that this
file was the same as the 4.9-i386-disc1.iso file, booted the CD, and
noticed a little problem.

The CD will not boot correctly.  Instead it displays:

	1. FD 2.88MB System Type-(0f)

Then it waits a few seconds and boots the first FreeBSD slice on my
first hard disk.  After retrying this a few times to make sure it was
not a fluke, I made kern/mfsroot floppies from the CD and used them
to boot the installation system.  Then I was able to do a successful
4.9 installation using the CD.

Is it just me?  Has anyone else yet burned and booted the
4.9-i386-disc1.iso CD image?  Can anyone explain the message
about the 2.88 MB floppy disk?

Dan Strick
strick@covad.net