Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:47:32 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld+ppc@catpipe.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-powerpc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WANTED: login on a FreeBSD/PowerPC system for toolchain work

At 5:29 PM +0100 2/16/05, Phil Regnauld wrote:
>David O'Brien (obrien) writes:
>>
>  > So far Phil Regnauld <regnauld+ppc@catpipe.net> and Garance
>  > offered such access.  Lets figure out which will be easiest
>  > and go with that.
>
>    Ok, if Garance doesn't beat me to it (and doesn't have a
>    faster machine), I'll put the G4 up on the external net
>    with a fresh install on Monday.

Well, I did send David a private message on how he could get to my
Mac-mini.  He hasn't tried it yet (but then I only told him about
two days ago, and I imagine he has one of those things called a
"real life", that I hear people talk so much about...).

Due to some kind of problem with my most recent build for that
system, the machine is running with a 1-day old "installworld", but
a kernel from at least a few days earlier than that.  The more
recent kernel seems mighty prone to panic'ing.

I'll leave my mini-mac up for David to use this weekend, assuming he
has the time to poke around.  I have no idea if my Mac-mini would be
faster than your G4.  It's 1.42-GHz, but with a somewhat slow disk
and 256meg of RAM.  I might try hooking up an external firewire disk
to it this weekend, and see if that would improve its speed.

For reference purposes, right now this Mac-mini takes about 98 minutes
to do a buildworld, and 15 minutes to do a buildkernel.