Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:02:27 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettings snapshots of load spikes

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:35:43PM +0100, Bogdan TARU wrote:
> I am having a real weird problem with a newly installed Dell PowerEdge
>2650 which acts as a web (Apache) and mail server(Procmail). The load just
>'spikes' sometimes (to 40.00 or so), but immediately starts to go down.
> One question would be: any idea of how to get a snapshot of the system in
>the exact moment when the load sky-rockets?

Hack the scheduler so that it drops into DDB if the run queue exceeds
say 30.  You can then play around inside DDB or force a panic.  This
probably isn't suitable for a production system.

Are the load spikes regular and therefore possibly triggered by cron?
Is there anything in either apache or procmail logs that correlates
with the spikes?

You could try enabling accounting (see acct(5) and accton(8)) which
will give you a record of what processes were started.  This may give
you a clue as to where to start looking.

Peter