Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:23:58 -0700
From:      "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>
To:        "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD

Well, into the fray.

>Err, but this one is specifically *not* a "tech support" group.
>There was a suggestion to start a support group for newbies, in addition
>to this social discussion group, but so far we have not found enough
>volunteer supporters of sufficient calibre and commitment to maintain it.

This is a bad thing, as it would be nice if the support was there for such a
group.  I'm not sure why it's hard to get support for it though.  The
questions need to and do get answered somewhere.  Why is it not possible for
the same people that answer questions in questions to watch a
"newbies-questions" list?

>Take another look at the charter. Why is it that newbies find it so easy
>to understand where to draw the line and non-newbies, who have other
>places to go, keep telling us that our group should be what it's not?

Because newbies get berrated by you when they do step over that line.  The
non-newbies are not as worried about needing help later on if they piss
someone with some knowledge off.

No, you cannot get out of that one with false modesty Sue. :-)

>Our list is what it is. Maybe one day that will change, but not in a big
>hurry, and any change will be brought about by what newbies want, not
>what we're told to want. There are thirty other lists where we're happy
>to be told what we want every day. We go there when we want help. This
>one is ours, to be among peers, to do things, not have things done to us.

Yes, this is a great list for what it is, but untill recently was not a very
heavily posted to list.  I'm not sure how you define sucess?

>OK, that's not what _you_ are proposing, but careful, it's the idea that
>it could generate. Read the five documents listed above one more time.
>The list charter is the bottom line. It's quite simple to understand, if
>you can accept the list for what it is and newbies for what they are. We
>newbies come here to share and contribute with each other. We discuss
>FreeBSD because we're interested in it. Others can discuss with us and if
>they know a bit more, that's great. But it's not the same as support, nor
>do we have the FreeBSD support team waiting here to correct errors.

I could not agree more.  The list charters should be followed.  It does not
however mean that newbies are not allowed to feel that there should also be
a place that has that same sense of belonging and security where they CAN
ask questions.

I suspect that if this list turned into a place where only newbies answered
easy questions with bad anwers, people would learn soon enough to stop
asking questions here.  It's pretty simple really.

>My view is just the view of one newbie (on a bad day). There are a lot of
>other newbies here who might have different views, and that's a good
>thing. Personally, in this particular forum I would respect the view of a
>newbie more than the voice of experience. Newbies generally don't express
>their views as convincingly and confidently as those with more
>experience, even when it's their own business. I wish that they would.

Be careful what you wish for.

>Remember there's only three sources of authority in here. One is the list
>charter, one is the postmaster who we seldom hear from, and the third is
>the combined voices of the newbies. I think it's about time you other
>newbies felt free to use your authority instead of giving it away by
>remaining silent.

Does this mean you are not the "moderator" anymore?  I seem to recall you
exerting some authority as the moderator at one time.

I don't know if I have authority now, but I sure don't feel silent. :-)

Mike